Dr. Ronald B. Kuppersmith is a board-certified otolaryngologist-head and neck surgeon and is a Professor of Surgery at the Texas A&M Health Science Center College of Medicine. He was among the first surgeons in North America to successfully perform robot-assisted endoscopic thyroid surgery using the daVinci Surgical System. He was also the first surgeon in Bryan-College Station to perform Balloon Sinuplasty and cryoablation of the posterior nasal nerve. Dr. Kuppersmith sees patients in our College Station office.
Dr. Kuppersmith has served as the President of the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery and the Texas Association of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery and is currently on the Board of Directors of the American Board of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery.
Dr Kuppersmith has received numerous awards including being selected by his peers for inclusion in the “Best Doctors in America,” Texas Super Doctors as published in Texas Monthly, the “Guide to America’s Top Physicians” by the Consumers’ Research Council of America, a Distinguished Service Award, Presidential Citation and an Honor Award from the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery.
Areas of Clinical Interest
- General otolaryngology
- Chronic sinusitis, allergic rhinitis, nasal airway obstruction
- Thyroid and parathyroid surgery
- Residency in Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery: Baylor College of Medicine
- Medical Degree: University of Michigan – Ann Arbor
- Undergraduate Degree: University of Michigan – Ann Arbor
- Fellow, American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- Fellow, American Academy of Otolaryngic Allergy
- Fellow, Triological Society
- American Rhinologic Society
- Texas Medical Association
- Texas Association of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
- Brazos-Robertson County Medical Society
- Villwock J. Kuppersmith R.B. Diagnostic algorithm for nasal airway obstruction. Otolaryngologic Clinics of North America. 2018: 51(5): 867-872.
- Villwock J. Kuppersmith R.B. Nasal airway obstruction . Otolaryngologic Clinics of North America. 2018 51(5): xix-xx.
- Newman JG, Kuppersmith RB, O’Malley BW Jr. Robotics and Telesurgery in Otolaryngology. Otolaryngologic Clinics of North America, 2011; 44(6):1317-31.
- Kuppersmith RB, Holsinger FC. Robotic Thyroid Surgery: An Initial Experience with North American Patients. The Laryngoscope. 2011: 121(3): 521-526.
- Grisel JJ, Atkins JH, Fleming DJ, Kuppersmith RB. Clinical Evaluation of a Bioresorbable Implant for Medialization of the Middle Turbinate in Sinus Surgery. International Forum of Allergy & Rhinology. 2011: 1(1): 33-37.
- Perrier ND, Randolph GW, Inabnet WB, Marple BF, Vanheerden J, Kuppersmith RB. Robotic Thyroidectomy: a Framework for New Technology Assessment and Safe Implementation.Thyroid. 2010 Dec;20(12):1327-32.
- Kuppersmith RB, Schams ST, Rosenfeld RM. Extracts from the Cochrane Library: Tonsillectomy for Periodic Fever, Aphthous Stomatitis, Pharyngitis, and Cervical Adenitis Syndrome (PFAPA) . Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery. 2010: 143, 473-475.
- Holsinger FC, Terris DJ, Kuppersmith RB. Robotic Thyroidectomy: Operative Technique Using a Transaxillary Approach without CO2 Insufflation . Otolaryngologic Clinics of North America. 2010: 43:381-388.
- Tami TA, Kuppersmith RB, Atkins J. A clinical evaluation of bioresorbable staples for mucoperichondrial flap coaption in septoplasty. American Journal of Rhinology and Allergy. 2010: 24(2):137-9.
- Orloff LA, Kuppersmith RB. American Thyroid Association’s Central Neck Dissection Terminology and Classification for Thyroid Cancer Consensus Statement. Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery. 2010: 142(1):4-5.
- Kuppersmith RB, Atkins JH. The use of a bioresorbable implant to medialize the middle turbinate in sinus surgery . Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery. 2009: 141(6):781-782.
- Kuppersmith RB, Salem A, Hoslinger FC. Advanced approaches for thyroid surgery . Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery. 2009: 141(3):340-342.
- Kuppersmith RB, Atkins JH, Tami TA. The use of bioresorbable staples for mucoperichondrial flap coaptation in septoplasty. Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery. 2009:140: 599-600.
- Burton MJ, Kuppersmith RB, Rosenfeld RM. Extracts from the Cochrane Library: Antibiotics for acute maxillary sinusitis. Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery. 2008:139:486-489.
- Kuppersmith RB. Medicine and technology. Ear Nose Throat J. 2005 Oct;84(10):618.
- Stewart MG, Kuppersmith RB, Moore AS. Searching the medical literature on the Internet. Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 2002 Dec;35(6):1163-74.
- Kuppersmith RB. The physician-patient relationship and the Internet. Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 2002 Dec;35(6):1143-7.
- Kuppersmith RB, Teh BS, Donovan DT, Mai WY, Chiu JK, Woo SY, Butler EB. The use of intensity modulated radiotherapy for the treatment of extensive and recurrent juvenile angiofibroma. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2000 May 30;52(3):261-8.
- de Jong AL, Kuppersmith RB, Sulek M, Friedman EM. Vocal cord paralysis in infants and children. Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 2000 Feb;33(1):131-49.
- Stewart MG, Friedman EM, Sulek M, Hulka GF, Kuppersmith RB, Harrill WC, Bautista MH. Quality of life and health status in pediatric tonsil and adenoid disease. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2000 Jan;126(1):45-8.
- Butler EB, Teh BS, Grant WH 3rd, Uhl BM, Kuppersmith RB, Chiu JK, Donovan DT, Woo SY. SMART (simultaneous modulated accelerated radiation therapy) boost: a new accelerated fractionation schedule for the treatment of head and neck cancer with intensity modulated radiotherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1999 Aug 1;45(1):21-32.
- Kuppersmith RB, Greco SC, Teh BS, Donovan DT, Grant W, Chiu JK, Cain RB, Butler EB. Intensity-modulated radiotherapy: first results with this new technology on neoplasms of the head and neck. Ear Nose Throat J. 1999 Apr;78(4):238, 241-6, 248.
- Kuppersmith RB. Is E-mail an effective medium for physician-patient interactions? Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 1999 Apr;125(4):468-70.
- Rothschild MA, Kuppersmith R. Internet resources in otolaryngology-head and neck surgery. JAMA. 1999 Mar 17;281(11):971-2.
- Meyers AD, Kuppersmith R. Learning objectives for telemedicine applications in otolaryngology-head and neck surgery. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 1999 Jan;120(1):137-8.
- Jewett BS, Holsinger C, Kuppersmith RB, Buenting JE. Computer-based physician education. Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 1998 Apr;31(2):301-7.
- Jones SB, Kuppersmith RB, Satava RM. Otolaryngology in the information age: enabling technologies for the future of surgery. Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 1998 Apr;31(2):241-53.
- Mosharrafa TM, Kuppersmith RB, Porter JP, Donovan DT. Pathologic quiz case 1. Malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumor of the ethmoidal sinus. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 1997 Jun;123(6):654, 656-7.
- Kuppersmith RB, Stewart MG, Ohlms LA, Coker NJ. Use of an Internet-based journal club. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 1997 Apr;116(4):497-8.
- Kuppersmith RB, Alford EL, Patrinely JR, Lee AG, Parke RB, Holds JB. Combined transconjunctival/intranasal endoscopic approach to the optic canal in traumatic optic neuropathy. Laryngoscope. 1997 Mar;107(3):311-5.
- Kuppersmith RB, Johnston R, Moreau D, Loftin RB, Jenkins H. Building a virtual reality temporal bone dissection simulator. Stud Health Technol Inform. 1997;39:180-6.
- Kuppersmith RB, Johnston R, Jones SB, Jenkins HA. Virtual reality surgical simulation and otolaryngology. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 1996 Dec;122(12):1297-8.
- Kuppersmith RB.A guide to otolaryngology resources on the Internet.Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 1996 Oct;115(4):335-41.
- Kuppersmith RB, Holsinger C, Jenkins HA. The use of E-mail by otolaryngologists. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 1996 Sep;122(9):921-2.
- Kuppersmith RB, Disher MJ, Deveikis JP, Frey K, Shulkin BL, Clevens RA, Wolf GT. Management of an osteogenic sarcoma of the maxilla. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 1994 May;103(5 Pt 1):408-12.
Kuppersmith R, Rosen DS, Wiatrak BJ. Functional stridor in adolescents.J Adolesc Health. 1993 May;14(3):166-71.