Dr. Andrew de Jong is a board-certified otolaryngologist-head and neck surgeon who performed the first cochlear implant in Bryan-College Station. He sees patients at the Bryan-College Station clinic, as well as our Brenham, Giddings and La Grange offices.
Dr. de Jong has served as the President of the Texas Association of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery and the Chief of Staff of St. Joseph’s Regional Health Center. He teaches courses on leadership and ethics in medicine to medical students at Texas A&M University.
Dr. de Jong is a clinical faculty member of the Texas A&M Health Science Center. He has received numerous awards including being selected by his peers for the “Best Doctors in America,” the “Guide to America’s Top Physicians” by the Consumers’ Research Council of America, a Presidential Citation from the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, and has been recognized as a “Texas Super Doctor” by Texas Monthly. He was also voted the “Best Physician” in the Bryan-College Station Eagle’s Readers’ Choice Awards.
Dr. de Jong also spent time studying pediatric cochlear implants at the Bionic Ear Institute at the University of Melbourne in Australia.
Areas of Clinical Interest
- Pediatric otolaryngology
- Cochlear implants
- Chronic ear surgery
- Residency in Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery: Baylor College of Medicine
- Fellowship in Pediatric Otolaryngology: Hospital for Sick Children at the University of Toronto School of Medicine
- Medical Degree: Baylor College of Medicine
- Undergraduate Degree: Texas A&M University
- Fellow, American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
- American Academy of Otolaryngic Allergy
- Texas Medical Association
- Texas Association of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
- Brazos-Robertson County Medical Society
- Shohet JA, de Jong AL. The management of pediatric cholesteatoma. Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 2002 Aug;35(4):841-51.
- de Jong AL, Ravel E, Forte V, Taylor G. Head and neck manifestations of infantile subcutaneous fat necrosis.J Otolaryngol. 2002 Aug;31(4):257-60.
- Friedman EM, de Jong AL, Sulek M. Pediatric bilateral vocal fold immobility: the role of carbon dioxide laser posterior transverse partial cordectomy.Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2001 Aug;110(8):723-8.
- de Jong AL, Macdonald R, Ein S, Forte V, Turner A. Corrosive esophagitis in children: a 30-year review.Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2001 Mar;57(3):203-11.
- Go C, Bernstein JM, de Jong AL, Sulek M, Friedman EM. Intracranial complications of acute mastoiditis.Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2000 Apr 15;52(2):143-8.
- Paysse EA, Coats DK, Bernstein JM, Go C, de Jong AL. Management and complications of congenital dacryocele with concurrent intranasal mucocele. J AAPOS. 2000 Feb;4(1):46-53.
- de Jong AL, Kuppersmith RB, Sulek M, Friedman EM. Vocal cord paralysis in infants and children. Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 2000 Feb;33(1):131-49.
- de Jong AL, Park AH, Raveh E, Schwartz MR, Forte V. Comparison of thyroid, auricular, and costal cartilage donor sites for laryngotracheal reconstruction in an animal model. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2000 Jan;126(1):49-53.
- Vaccani JP, Forte V, de Jong AL, Taylor G. Ewing’s sarcoma of the head and neck in children. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 1999 May 25;48(3):209-16.
- Drummond DS, de Jong AL, Giannoni C, Sulek M, Friedman EM. Recurrent meningitis in the pediatric patient–the otolaryngologist’s role. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 1999 May 25;48(3):199-208.
- Liu RM, Papsin BC, de Jong AL. Epidermolysis bullosa of the head and neck: a case report of laryngotracheal involvement and 10-year review of cases at the Hospital for Sick Children. J Otolaryngol. 1999 Apr;28(2):76-82.
- deJong AL. Congenital perilymphatic fistula. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 1998 Nov;124(11):1279-81.
- de Jong AL, Park A, Taylor G, Forte V. Lipomas of the head and neck in children. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 1998 Feb;43(1):53-60.
- de Jong AL, Moola F, Kramer D, Forte V. Foreign bodies of the hard palate. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 1998 Feb;43(1):27-31.
- de Jong AL, Nedzelski J, Papsin BC. Surgical outcomes of paediatric cochlear implantation: the Hospital for Sick Children’s experience. J Otolaryngol. 1998 Feb;27(1):26-30.
- Raveh E, de Jong AL, Taylor GP, Forte V. Prognostic factors in the treatment of lymphatic malformations. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 1997 Oct;123(10):1061-5.
- Birdsall HH, Trial J, Lin HJ, Green DM, Sorrentino GW, Siwak EB, de Jong AL, Rossen RD. Transendothelial migration of lymphocytes from HIV-1-infected donors: a mechanism for extravascular dissemination of HIV-1.J Immunol. 1997 Jun 15;158(12):5968-77.
- de Jong AL, Sulek M, Nihill M, Duncan NO, Friedman EM. Tenuous airway in children with trisomy 21.Laryngoscope. 1997 Mar;107(3):345-50.
- de Jong AL, Green DM, Trial JA, Birdsall HH. Focal effects of mononuclear leukocyte transendothelial migration: TNF-alpha production by migrating monocytes promotes subsequent migration of lymphocytes.J Leukoc Biol. 1996 Jul;60(1):129-36.
- de Jong AL, Coker NJ, Jenkins HA, Goepfert H, Alford BR. Radiation therapy in the management of paragangliomas of the temporal bone.Am J Otol. 1995 May;16(3):283-9.
- Trial J, Birdsall HH, Hallum JA, Crane ML, Rodriguez-Barradas MC, de Jong AL, Krishnan B, Lacke CE, Figdor CG, Rossen RD. Phenotypic and functional changes in peripheral blood monocytes during progression of human immunodeficiency virus infection. Effects of soluble immune complexes, cytokines, subcellular particulates from apoptotic cells, and HIV-1-encoded proteins on monocytes phagocytic function, oxidative burst, transendothelial migration, and cell surface phenotype.J Clin Invest. 1995 Apr;95(4):1690-701.
- Birdsall HH, Trial J, Hallum JA, de Jong AL, Green LK, Bandres JC, Smole SC, Laughter AH, Rossen RD. Phenotypic and functional activation of monocytes in HIV-1 infection: interactions with neural cells.J Leukoc Biol. 1994 Sep;56(3):310-7.